It’s been three-and-half years since Soleiman Faqiri – who lived with schizophrenia – was found dead on the floor of a segregation cell — at a Correction Centre in Ontario. A year’s long investigation into his death has reached the same conclusion as the first – no charges will be laid against any of the six or more guards who restrained and allegedly beat the 30-year-old mentally ill man. Soleiman’s brother Yusuf Faqiri joined Sarah MacDonald on BC1.
- After my brother’s death in prison, my family has lost faith in the system. But we still believe in justice
- Statement from the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants
- Statement from Colour of Poverty – Colour of Change
- Statement from the Urban Alliance on Race Relations
- Statement from the BC Civil Liberties Association